Best Oasis songs that aren't by Oasis.
Updated: Aug 24, 2020
I'm not sure the title of this post makes any sense, it has even confused me and I wrote it. Good.
Anyway, Oasis were fucking amazing weren't they. I'm not gonna try and describe what there music meant/means to me on here as I haven't got the vocabulary to put it into words. Oasis have made dozens upon dozens of timeless classics that will go down in the history of music (whatever that is). After there infamous split in 2007 both Liam & Noel have continued to have very successful music careers. Here I want to pick the best songs that have been made by the loving brothers, post OASIS.
Noel Gallagher went straight into his new band 'The High Flying Birds' & released his first album in 2011. Now, this might seem controversial, but I think some of the tunes Noel has written since leaving Oasis are right up there with his best ever work. Here are my top 5 Post Oasis Noel Gallagher songs:
5 - NGHFB - Ballad Of The Mighty I. From his second album Chasing Yesterday, this is a real toe tapper. One that gets you going and a personal favourite of mine. Wouldn't look out of place on any album he's ever released.
4 - NGHFB - Everybody's On The Run. The first song off his self titled debut album in 2011. I can remember first hearing it and thinking - fuck me, this is a bit of tune - and then that feeling was multiplied by 10 after I saw him play it live at the Motorpoint arena in Nottingham. This song got the reception that any of his Oasis anthems would have been proud of.
3 - NGHFB - If I Had A Gun. Again from his first album with the High Flying Birds. For me, this song epitomises Noel's genius. It's simple excellence with an incredibly catchy chorus means it will always be one of my favourite ever love songs. I'm also learning to play this song on guitar at the moment and I've fallen even more in love with it.
2 - NGHFB - The Dying of The Light. Again from his second album Chasing Yesterday, this song fills me with hope and optimism about life in a way that only an Oasis/Noel Gallagher song could. 'We'll fight the dying of the light and we'll catch the sun' - Take a bow Noel.
1 - NGHFB - Dead In The Water (Live). This was a bonus track from his most recent album Who Built The Moon? This is possibly my favourite ever song he has produced. This version is perfect, recorded live by mistake almost, it's so raw that they included it on the album untouched. If you haven't heard it, go and listen to it right now and tell me it's not a fucking masterpiece. Go on.
After Oasis, Liam got the band back together, just without his fairly talented older brother. Beady Eye was born. I always assumed Beady Eye had been a relative success until I recently watched Liam's documentary - As It Was - and discovered that they were no where near as successful as he intended them to be. This seemed to take it's toll on Liam and knocked his confidence for six. Since 2016 however he has gone on to have a hugely successful solo career which once again sees the charismatic singer headlining festivals all over the world.
5. Liam Gallagher - One Of Us. The 2nd track off his brilliant Why Me? Why Not album which was released last year and soon became my soundtrack of 2019. Fast paced and his voice sounds better than ever. Like most Liam Gallagher songs though, this has to be played loud.
4. Liam Gallagher - Wall of Glass. The first song he released as a solo artist quickly sent shockwaves all over England (well, at least my group of mates). Liam was back. Banger.
3. Liam Gallagher - I Never Wanna Be Like You. Again off his Why me? Why not album. This song resonated with me as soon as I heard it, i'm not sure who it is I don't wanna be like, but when Liam sings this chorus with the rising guitar chords in the back ground I don't wanna be like them either. Is it about his brother? Probably not but that's what we're all thinking ey. Huge tune.
2. Beady Eye - Flick of The Finger. Beady Eye might of been a disappointment in some peoples eyes, but there is no denying that this is a massive tune. It gets you up for it done it? Taking the bins out, taking the dog for a walk when it's pissing it down, whatever it is this song will get you up for it.
1. Liam Gallagher - Once. A slow jam, again from his latest album. It sounds like something Noel would write, it really does, but Liams vocals create all the magic here. A song that gives you goose bumps, especially when you see him perform it live. There's a video of him singing it on youtube which is mesmerising and confirms that the rock and roll king is still at the top of his game.